Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading Notes: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu Part A

In the version I chose to read was pretty straight forward. It focused on the Pandavas brothers, which is what my favorite part is in the Mahabharata. What was quite interesting is in the original version Draupadi is shared amongst all the Pandavas brothers. However, in this version Arjuna wins Draupadi but is forced to give her to his eldest brother Yudhisthira, because his mom said so. Imagine having to give your significant other to your sibling just because they are older!

I feel that in this version the Pandavas brothers go into disguise more often than the original version. I think for the story this week I might want to do something that has to do with going into disguise. I might be able to write a story about a girl who falls in love with a boy. However, when the boy's twin brother sees how beautiful the girl is, he sends him off so he can disguise himself as the brother and get the girl. A story such as this can be interesting because, who knows if she can tell between the brothers? What happens when the brother returns? Will she be willing to marry both of them or will she fall for one over the other? I feel like I can go many ways this story.

I can also choose to focus on the jealousy that Duryodhana has for his cousins. He challenges them to a dice game and Yudhisthira loses everything and is the reason they go into exile. My story could be that Duryodhana is jealous of his cousin cause his dad loves them more. So he keeps trying to prove to his dad that he is more worthy of them. His dad does not recognize his efforts and continues to praise the Pandavas. Finally, a day will come where Duryodhana will have to come to the Pandavas rescue and will win over his dad once again.



Draupadi Swayamvara
(Source: Hathitrust)


Bibliography: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu by Richard Wilson. Reading Guide Part A.

No comments:

Post a Comment