Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading Notes: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu Part B

So…Karna is the actual first born child of Kunti, which makes him Arjuna's brother. However, the hate is so deep between them that Karna is still determined to kill Arjuna. The fight continues until finally Arjuna kills Karna. Duryodhana is determined to continue the war, but fails undoubtedly. He then flees to the lake and hides form the Pandavas brothers. When they finally find, him he swears to kill all of them. News gets to them that the sons of the Pandavas are all dead. When they see this Duryodhana dies as well.

In the end Kunti tells Arjuna and the other brothers that Arjuna has killed his own brother. They mourn together over the fallen ones. This part does not make sense to me because I thought Arjuna and Karna were both aware that they were brothers. I think in my story I would switch it up a little. I would have two men go to war against each other. They would plan their whole life hating each other. However, in the midst of their war an angel would come down and announce that both of them are actually brothers and have been brainwashed from the kingdom each grew up in. Then the brother would team together to fight against their kingdoms and come out strong.

Another story idea I have is having one of the Pandavas brothers faced with a terrible situation. In the war, they would have to choose between killing their brother or their own child. I think this is one of the hardest choices to make. This would really take a toll on the person regardless of which way they chose. What would the other person think that survived? Would the guilt stay forever? Would the regret choosing one way over the other? I could really play around with this idea.


Arjuna and Karna 
(Source: Hathitrust)


Bibliography: The Five Tall Sons of Pandu by Richard Wilson. Reading Guide Part B.

1 comment:

  1. I just read your story and am now reading the reading notes that go along with it. I like how you put a lot of thought into your reading notes. Sometimes it is easy to just do the minimum but I can see that you took your time in reading the story and fully comprehended what was going on so that you could write your own feelings and thoughts on the piece.

    ReplyDelete