Monday, February 13, 2017

Reading Notes: The Mahabharata Part B

Arjuna is exiled for 12 years.. again this looks like a pattern of when Rama was exiled! During the time of his exile he marries two women. This is so interesting to me. Do these women ever have the desire to marry more men? If they do, are they able to act upon it?

So the game of dice is real intense. Yudhishthira not only loses everything that he owns but he gambles his brothers and himself away too! To add the cherry on top he gambles Draupadi away as well. Yet, she brings up a good point. How is she able to be gambled away when Yudhishthira has already gambled himself? Hm. I do not think it is possible because he does not eve have control of his own life how can he give the life of another?

Duryodhana orders Draupadi to undress. This makes me so sad because the poor woman is already on her period too. She must feel awful and this is just so degrading. However, when she calls upon the gods to help. they help her. Draupadi has the kindest heart. She wishes her husbands free but does not think of herself. I wonder if the men where in this situation what they would have done?

Arjuna, surprisingly declines the advances from Urvashi. He is then cursed but is told that this curse will be a blessing later on. When he is reunited with the Pandavas after five years, they are excited to see all the weapons he has acquired. I think with the weapons they will go to war or do something worse in part C. 

I feel that this story is kind of all over the place. I want to pin point one aspect about it and write about that since there is so much going on. Maybe I will focus on Draupadi and the Pandava brothers because I am so intrigued by it. I might keep the story of the Bachelorette, or change it up. I definitely want to include a part of 3 wishes in my story.


Draupadi and Pandavas Brothers
(Source: Wikipedia)


Bibliography:

The Mahabharata, link to Reading Guide Part B

No comments:

Post a Comment