Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reading Notes: The Mahabharata Part C

I do believe the Mahabharata is harder to wrap my head around than the Ramayana. For this reason I have chose to focus in on the aspects of it that I enjoy reading.

What caught my eye is in the chapter is when Duryodhana encountered the Gandharvas's. Duryodhana was captured and taken as a prisoner. When news got to the Pandavas brothers they went and fought the Gandharvas's until they released the prisoners which included Duryodhana. Duryodhana was embarrassed and soon after wanted to end his life. I just thought this was a very dramatic scene. Duryodhana was taking a parade to go see the Pandavas in misery, and it turned out that they helped him greatly. I feel like I can write a story based of this. For my idea I would have it involve two families. In one family there would be a proud mother who is constantly bragging on her children. I would have this mother be the aunt to the kids in the other family. This aunt would constantly hate on these kids and think that they are nothing compared to her little angels. Until one day the aunt gets in horrible car crash and gets paralyzed. Then, instead of her own kids it would be her nieces and nephews that would help her. She would soon realize how at fault she is and feel so guilty that she would just want to commit suicide. That is just one idea.

Just as in the Ramayana, Jayadratha abducted Draupadi into his chariot when she was unguarded in the forest. Then what caught me off guard is that Jayadratha is already married to someone! Like where is his wife?? For this story idea I was thinking of basing it off of a movie called "Along Came Polly". This movie is about a guy catching his wife cheating on him on their honeymoon. I was thinking to reverse the roles. Meaning, I would have a guy go on a honeymoon with his new bride. However, while he is there he starts to fall in love with another woman. He is aware that this woman is also married but does not care. He makes the woman fall in love with him, and runs away with her. The woman's husband soon comes and find them and beats the man up. The man is left beaten and alone, and has nothing better than to run back to his wife.

The Mahabharata has a lot of room to come up with ideas which is what I really like about it. I am not sure if I will stick with either one of these idea but this is what I think I am going to do for now.

Jayadratha
(Source: Wikimedia)

Bibliography:

The Mahabharata, link to Reading Guide Part C

No comments:

Post a Comment