Saturday, April 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Jataka Tales Part A

For this week, I am focusing on Children stories once again. One of the stories I read "The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking" was actually quite disturbing for a children's story. Basically the turtle died because he could not keep his mouth shut. I think for my story I would change just a little to where it would be about two siblings and one who could not keep their mouth shut about anything. So he always got in trouble, I am not sure if I want to have a happy ending in my story or a similar one as the ending of the Turtle story.

The other story I read for this week is "The Foolish, Timid Rabbit." This story was about a Rabbit who thought the earth was breaking up because a coconut fell to the ground. He then gathered a herd of animals who also ran with him. Finally it was the wise king of the beasts the lion who got to the bottom of it and found out that the earth was not breaking it was just a coconut falling. I found this story quite amusing. I think for my story I want to keep the plot about just following someone blindly, but I want to write in human form. For example, it might just be about the popular kids and everyone just following them blindly not questioning their actions.

The Rabbit and the Lion
(Source:Main Lesson)

Bibliography: Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt. Reading Part A

1 comment:

  1. Mehik, I know that it is uncommon for people to comment on reading note posts but I had to comment on yours. During this free exploration time that we have been given I have only been reading the Jakata Tales because they are so animal based and I love that every story is different. I have read the story about the turtle who could not shut up. I would have liked to see what your story looked like in comparison to a story that I would have written about the turtle.

    ReplyDelete