Thursday, January 26, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

For Giving Feedback:

In the first article I really liked that they pointed out that feedback is usually based on past performances. I agree with the idea that it should be more of future suggestions. As they stated, you cannot change the past but you can change the future. They also pointed out that it is better to learn something right than to improve what is wrong. I agree with this to an extent. I still think it is good to improve on things that are wrong, but fixating on them is not healthy. Feed forward is based on the future which gives a lot of hope to those working on themselves. It helps people see that it about building them up and not breaking them down. 

In the second article there is something that definitely stood out to me. "Coaching is about quick and effective adjustments in light of results." This is basically what feedback is. They are just adjustments due to results. The article pointed out the importance of feedback because it can be just additional information that you have missed in the heat of the moment. It is important to review this information and get it right for next time. 

For Receiving Feedback:

I really liked the "5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ" article. It explained what people do when they hear feedback. They see it as a negative thing, however people do not see the other side. Getting feedback means you have no maxed out on your potential. There is always room to grow. As humans we tend to turn "state" into "trait". This means we take the situation of the feedback and make it into a personal trait that we posses. This is usually never the case. Feedback is not a shot towards a person characteristics, instead it is advice on their ability to do better. We should be reacting in a more productive way. 

This second article explains what exactly happens to us biologically when we hear feedback. First of all we reply to negative stimuli faster. It is our initial reaction to automatically get hostile or aggressive when hearing negative feedback, because we association negative with dangerous. Also, we remember negative experiences than positive experiences. In order to change this we need to change our mindset. We need to stop blaming others, instead we need to accept responsibility. A reward system would help change our bad habits and enforce the feedback.

Feedback. It's not always bad. 
(Source: Pixabay)

  
I think the most useful article was " 5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ." It did point out the state to trait aspect of feedback, which I tend to do sometimes. I think now that I am more aware of it, I will try harder to not do that. I actually do have a lot of experience in giving feedback in my classes. A lot of my classes are discussion based. Through these discussions I think what really helps when giving feedback is showing interest in the person or the situation and being polite about it. It is understandable when someone does not accept negative feedback when it is coming in a rude or hateful form. I think I am pretty good at handling feedback, but as one of the articles said I have not maxed out my potential. There is always room to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment