Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Introduction to a Human Relations Senior

My name is Mehik Malik and I am a Human Relations senior here at the University of Oklahoma. I was born in Pakistan but moved to the United States when I was three years old. I grew up in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma with my two brothers!

As you know I am a Human Relations major, so what does this mean? As a Human Relations major I am learning about what connects humans to one another. Pretty interesting right? Well there's more! Within my major I learn about people and the different ways to interact with them. I also learn about different cultures and religions and how to create a safe environment for everyone. I am a strong advocate for social justice issues and hope to create a positive change in this world. I have the most interesting classes I believe. Some courses I have taken are History of Racism, Intro to Counseling, African American Aesthetics, and more.

The HR major has helped me be more involved on campus. I am a Resident Adviser for Couch Center. This means I oversee 70 girls that live on my hallway and help guide them during their time here. I am full of helpful knowledge about this university in which I share with my residents to help them flourish. I am also VP of the Student Society of Human Relations. This club meets once a month and discusses different ways that we can positively influence this campus. We also engage in various activities to help our community. For example, for one of our activities we went to an assisted living home and played bingo with the elderly. We also plan on participating in Big Event this semester to help out the environment for our local community. This semester I am also a Pink and Black Ball Ambassador. With this role I help plan the annual Gender and Equality Center Ball that helps raise money for the events they put on throughout the year. In the past semesters I have also volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club. I loved being around children and seeing them grow throughout the year. As you can I love being involved in the community and on campus. I have been volunteering since I was in elementary school and have been taking on leadership roles since middle school. It is a great passion of mine to be a strong leader!

Besides taking the most amazing courses and being involved on campus, with the little free time I have, I like to spend with my friends and fiance. My friends are a big part of my life. I believe in making bonds with people that are gonna last a  lifetime and not just a few years. When I get overwhelmed and  feel that down my friends are there to cheer me up. I also tend too involved in my work and school life, so it is nice to have a break and just to hangout with them. They help me take my mind off of, well pretty much everything. Furthermore, I am engaged to the love of my life. We started dating when we were 15 years old. I met him at a sweet sixteen birthday party, I know very romantic. We dated for about four years and then he proposed! Of course I said yes! He is such a sweet person and makes me feel whole. We are going to wait till I am out of grad school to get married!

I have grown a great deal here at my time at University of Oklahoma. I have not only learned a lot about the world around me, but I have learned a great deal about myself. I have learned that I like to challenge myself in every aspect. If I am not constantly improving then I am not doing something right. I believe that a person can always do better and strive for greater. My ultimate goal in life is to become a licensed professional counselor. I hope to make a difference in the lives that I meet and hope to leave these world knowing I have made a difference.



(Image information: personal photo of my engagement party; photo from July 20th, 2015.)

21 comments:

  1. Mehik—

    I’ve never known exactly what the HR major involves, so this was a really interesting peek behind the proverbial curtain. And it looks like you’re putting your knowledge of working with people to amazing use; all your involvement and volunteer efforts are insanely impressive. It sounds like you’ll make an amazing counselor. Belated congrats on your engagement, and I look forward to reading your work this semester!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mehik!

    This was a really nice introduction! I think it is so cool that we are both HR majors and want to go in the same direction after school! I have just switched majors so it is nice to be able to know people that have similar classes to me. I lived in Couch 7 last year and I must say Couch is the best. I practically lived at Couch Express last year. Bread Bowl Tuesday was definitely my thing. Anyway, I think it is really great how involved you are on campus. I am always amazed by people that are in (and have leadership positions) numerous clubs on campus. It is nice to see you working in areas that you are passionate about and how you can directly see the difference that you are making! I love the story about you meeting your fiance! High school sweethearts are the cutest!

    I look forward to reading more of your material and getting to know you this semester!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have someone who was born in Pakistan in the class, Mehik! Wonderful! And I hope this class can give you some valuable stories to learn from and even use in your future career as a counselor. Some people have done counseling-themed projects for the class, and that is such a powerful way to work with the stories. Here is one from last semester, for example: I really like how this one turned out! Parvati's Counseling Service (and since you are engaged, you might like the marriage-centered theme in that one... Parvati has a very dramatic story of her own about how she became married to the god Shiva)

    And please let me know about events that you are involved in that I could include in the class announcements! There are always items that I find on the OU calendars, but it's more fun when the events are connected somehow to an actual person in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mehik! It is so nice to meet you! Going into your introduction I had a general idea of what HR majors do, but your post opened my eyes to the other sides of HR. I think it is awesome that you are a RA. Dealing with people from different backgrounds and thinking of ways to make their dorm life the best it can be, must be great experience for your HR degree. I think it is so great that you have been able to accomplish so much during your time here! I am interested to see how your HR major and your understanding of different people will come out in your stories! Congrats on your engagement and I look forward to reading your work this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! It is nice to meet you, Mehik. I am glad you explained what your major was because I have always been curious. I also participate in Big Event every year. I also have made a few lifelong friends here at OU and I rely on them for support too. I look forward to reading more of your work. Congrats on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mehik, It is great getting to meet you. I was a Religious Studies major, and that is much related to the Human Relations major, because it helps me to relate to people based off the ideas of their religion comparing to my own. It is cool that you are able to be involved so much on campus, I was not and kinda regret it. I only had a fraternity, but I wasn't really involved in that either. I am glad that you are going into a major that teaches how to relate to all types of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mehik it is nice to meet you! I love the layout of your blog it is so cute! You seem like a really outgoing and busy person! I can't believe how involved you are on campus! It is so great to see how you view friendships- it is always good to try to hang on to friends as long as possible! I look forward to reading your stories this semester and getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mehik!

    It’s so nice to meet you! I’m a Psychology/Pre-Dental major with a Biology and Human Relations minor. I am so glad to have picked Human Relations as my minor because the classes I’ve taken are some of the best at The University of Oklahoma. I feel like Intro to Human Relations should be a prerequisite for all majors. I also love to volunteer and serve others. I think it is one of the most fulfilling things you can set yourself to do. You look absolutely beautiful in your engagement picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mehik,

    Glad to meet you. I was Psychology major when I first arrived at OU and found the program to be very interesting. I especially loved the Research Methods class and if you get a chance to take Dr. Jennifer Barnes, she teaches a class very similar to this class but involving the reading critiquing of research. Her specialty is psychology of fiction and how reading fiction can effect the reader.

    You don't seem to sit still for very long either. It sounds like you are definitely getting all you want from extracurricular activities. I wish you all the luck in your career as an LPC/ Psychologist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mehik,

    Nice to meet you! It's been really interesting to read about your life as an HR major. Being a Chemical Biosciences major, I never really know what other people's majors are like. HR is in Gaylord college, right? Gaylord is so nice. I love to study there. Being an RA must also be such a rewarding experience. I have always considered being an RA, but I just know that it would be a very hard time commitment with all that I am involved with. Good luck with your future endeavors, and I hope you're enjoying your senior year! You look beautiful in your picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Mehik,
    It feels like everyone in our online class is getting either married or engaged! Including you and myself I think there are roughly 7 students who have mentioned or posted about their significant other. I am happy to hear that you are motivated and driven to help others, and your passion for helping others seems unmatched as an HR major. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mehik!

    Oh my goodness, I love this intro! You are so involved on campus, that's awesome. I'm glad you get to do things that you are so passionate about, because to me that is the most important thing in college. You and your fiancé look very sweet and congratulations on that!! Probably a smart move to wait for the wedding, but I don't know how you do it! I would be so so anxious to plan it!! :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Mehik, nice to meet you! How did you like Broken Arrow? I have been there a few times and liked what I saw of it! Thank for explaining what Human Relations meant because I hear people talk about it but I have never really known what it meant! Also, congrats on getting engaged! That picture of him proposing is seriously adorable! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Mehik! I’m super surprised I haven’t commented on any of your posts this far into the semester! But hello, it was very nice to meet you. I was actually debating on switching my major to HR initially, but I think I found my place as a Psych major instead, but I still do love the idea of HR and all the classes included. If you’re interested in social justice and change and the whole nonprofit division, OU actually offers a nonprofit minor right now (the major is still in the works)! I love the classes so far because they range to fit whatever section your interested in (like advocacy, volunteers, management, marketing, etc.) There is so much more to nonprofits than people give it credit for, and it’s super interesting to learn about it if you’re interested! Anyway! Congratulations on your engagement! Meeting the love of your life is definitely not a small feat (regardless if it was at sweet 16!), and I’m so happy you guys are going to live happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Mehik! Do you remember Pakistan since you moved when you so young? I also grew up in Broken Arrow, it was a nice quiet place. It is really awesome how passionate you are about your major. Enjoying what you do is one step closer to success and it seems you are on the right track! Congrats on getting engaged, nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mehik, you seem such like hardworking and driven individual. I believe that you have so much potential. Thank you so much for sharing all of this information about your personal life an goals. What made you desire to become a professional counselor? I'm also an RA. Furthermore, I really like your mindset on life about how you must constantly be improving. Also, I wish you the best of luck with your engagement and marriage. I hope you and your fiancé have a prosperous and wonderful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mehik! I wonder if you remember me or not! I was one of the girls in your hall 2nd semester of last year. It’s really fun that we’re in this class together this semester. It’s really cool to learn more about you like this too! I didn’t realize all the work you do volunteering on and around campus. I’m excited to read some of the stories you’ve written as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the photo you posted of you and your future husband. I think its super cool you were born in Pakistan and ending up here in Oklahoma. If it weren't for those things than you wouldn't be here at OU possibly so that is something to think about. I have two brothers as well and I think it is cool we have that in common.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mehik, I enjoyed getting to know you by reading your introduction! I was almost an HR major, but I decided to go with Communication.Your last paragraph touched me the most, as I feel I can say the same. College is a great place to grow and I don't regret anything. I'm hoping we can both touch many peoples' lives after college!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Mehik, it's nice to meet you! I think it's awesome that you're so involved within the OU community and giving back to people who may be in need. I used to be more involved, but recently I've been more focused on my classes and graduating. Congrats on your engagement and good luck with your marriage in the upcoming near future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mehik, it is nice to meet you. I think your major is one of many that require someone with a great attitude! I think this class is perfect for discovering a new culture's meanings and practices. It will definitely help broaden your social interaction in school as well. Have a great wedding! I am sure it will be great! Good luck finals and enjoy the rest of your semester.

    ReplyDelete