Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: The Ramayana Part A


Birth of Rama. Source: Wikimedia


The story begins with a sorrow king because he has no son to carry on his legacy. This type of plot is especially common in the Indian/Pakistani world. It is important for a boy to carry on the family name. In the story there is a sacrifice and his three wives are gifted with the birth of 4 sons. Two of the sons Rama and Lakshmana accompany Vishvamitra to defeat a demon Thataka.

I find this story to be pretty interesting, however there a few things that I would tweak. For instance, in my story I would have The king's wives give birth to three girls and one boy. Rama and of his sister would go on the journey to beat the demon. I am taking more of a feminist perspective on it. It would show that girls are also capable of something more than just giving birth. I am also stealing this idea from a new bollywood movie called Dangal. In the movie there is man who wants a son to become a professional wrestler to get the gold for India. However, he ends up having four girls. He soon learns that girls are capable of so much more than he thought, and they end up getting the gold for India. Like the movie, I would have Rama's sister be the one who defeats the demons, while Rama fails. I would also change Thataka from a demon to a god. I do not believe that is is fair that Thataka was turned into a demon because of the behavior of her sons and husband.

I also enjoy the mini stories in the story to teach Rama lessons about life and his ancestors. I would keep this aspect in my story because I find it helpful learning through others experiences. However, in my story Rama's sister, would have a special connection with the gods, who would show visions of these stories to her. She would then interpret them for their next quest.

The way it is written can be hard to read a times but it is all very beautiful.

Bibliography:

Narayan's Ramayana, link to Reading Guide A.

No comments:

Post a Comment