Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: The Ramayana Part B

It is unbelievable the amount of love Dasharatha has for Rama. So much so that he dies when Rama is sent into exile. It is also interesting the how loyal the brothers are to each other. This is actually a surprise for me. I thought that envy would take over and the brothers would fight over the throne, but it is the exact opposite of what I expected.

Since I am deeply a fan of chick-flicks I find the love triangle to be quite interesting. The jealous Shurpanakha tries to get rid of Rama because she is in love with him. However, her plans back fire on her and she is mutilated. But her brother falls in love with Sita. I guess it is more of a love square than a triangle.

I would like to continue my idea of the feminist perspective. In my story Dasharatha would realize how important his daughters are and would start treating them equally as Rama. I would also add a little drama to the story by having Dasharatha's two wives plotting to send Rama to exile. While Rama is exiled the sisters would have to team together to get their brother back. Along the way Rama's sisters fall in love with Ravana (Rama's enemy).

By doing this I can keep the love aspect in the story but making it more complicated because all three sisters are in love with Ravana. This also creates more conflict for Rama. Not only does he have to win back the love of Dashartha's wives, he also has to find a way to convince his sisters love for Ravana. I would also like to use Sita has a woman of wisdom in the story. I think that she plays an important role in Rama's life and should not be "hopeless" instead be powerful and helpful.


Rama goes into Exile Source: British Museum 

Bibliography:

Narayan's Ramayana, link to Reading Guide B.

No comments:

Post a Comment